UM Dentistry Interview, USM Dentistry Interview and UKM Dentistry Interview for 2015/2016 intake.



So, this time I am gonna write about the Dentistry  Interviews that I attended in May 2015. Basically, because i am bored, and well, I just wanted to write up for my own reference as well , and maybe anyone of you who came across.

Latest Update : Starting from 2017/2018 intake, UM and USM will also be integrated into the UPU system.

USM 
 Date of Announcement : 29th April 2015 ( Email)
 Date of Interview :6th May 2015
 Venue : USM Kubang Kerian, Kota Bharu, Kelantan
 Note : You probably wanna find  out if there is any budget Inns around there before hand asap since             it's gonna be full if you do it during the last minute. This link here may be of help.

There are 2 sessions
1. Wire Bending
2. Interview

1. Wire Bending in USM for 2015 is an Ohm Shape with 1cm dimensions. So, If USM is your first Interview for Dentistry, this is probably a good practice. They will show you a video and all you have to do is follow it and try not to hurt your fingers, LOL. ( one of them did during my session )

2. Interview for USM was average. I think USM has a way of asking questions in a way that they derived questions from your answer. So you have to always be careful of how you phase out your answers. So, below are some questions that I encountered.

(3 interviewers to 1)
    a. Why do you want to be a dentist ?
    b. Differences between A government and a private Clinic
    c. Did you apply for other Universities ?
    d. Why did you apply for USM ?
    e. You're are given a scenario :
          You're on your way to board your flight and somebody was injured, what will you do ?
         They asked me to answer in BM, so I did,


UM
Since, it is their first year(2015/2016 intake) being independent from the UPU system, they somehow had changed their acceptance test. There used to be wire bending, an essay, and an Interview, but mine seems to be different.


1st Part : The Call for Wire Bending 
 Date of Announcement : 2nd May 2015 ( Email)
 Date of  Preliminary Test : 8th May 2015
 Venue : Balai Ungku Aziz, Fakulti Pergigian, UM

The wire bending is tougher, you have 2 semicircles connected to a rectangle , with curve edges. Probably want to search up how do you curve a wire besides a straight wire, 

2nd Part : Interview 
Date of Announcement : 19th May 2015
                                         ( UM Portal, remember your password for UM when you apply)
Date of Interview : 26th May 2015
Venue of Interview :Hotel Regency , Alor Setar, Kedah ( According to your Zones)

UM interview for Dentistry is much more calming and relaxing ( in my opinion). The questions are not that stressful and they are very friendly, Everything was conducted in English. The questions are more standard :

(2 interviewers to 1)
  a. Tell me about your Extra-curriculum
  b. How do you think what what you have now will be able to help you to become a dentist?
  c. Why do you want to become a dentist?
  d. Tell me about your dental Experience ?
  e. Did you apply for other Universities as well ?
  f.  What are your other choices besides Dentistry ?


UKM
Date of Announcement: 14th May 2015 ( Email and Call )
Official Date of Announcement : 18th May 2015 ( UPU Portal)
Date of Interview : 27th May 2015 
Venue : Fakulti Pergigian UKM Kampus Kuala Lumpur

3 sessions :
1. Wire Bending
2. Video Viewing
3. Interview

1. Wire Bending. This is toughest of all the universities that I attended. You are given a set of instructions where you have to draft out the shape they want and bend the wire according to the instructions in 30 minutes. The shape I was given was an Ohm Shape + a semi circle and a triangle all in one wire.

2. Video Viewing. You are shown a video of a scenario in a dental clinic between a dentist and a patient. This video is important as it contributes a lot of marks  ( they say, not me ). Note down every details, and probably some terms they are using. Like mine, they mentioned Nicotinic Stomatitis ( Smoker's Palate ). 

3. Interview. It's very standard, direct and unexpected ( for my case, since I wasn't very well prepared). Conducted in both English and BM. So

( 2 interviewers to 1)
  a. Why do you want to be a dentist ?
  b. What will you have to go through as a dental student in order to become a dental student
  c. What do you have to study ? Example ?
  d. What branches of dentistry are you familiar with ?
  e. What is orthodontics ? ( Since I mentioned it )
  f.  What is the function of Orthodontics ?
  g. How will you rate your Wire Bending in a scale of 1 to 10?
  h. Evaluate your Wire Bending ?
  i.  What have you learned from your wire Bending ?
  j. You're a leader, how will you solve the problem of lacking of cooperation ?
  k. You are given a task and your exam is nearing, how will you manged it ?
  l. Tell me about your dental experience
  m. Explain about the video.



So, Yeah. This about sums it up. Though there are a few suggestions and reminders before you attend the interview:

1, Read up about the universities that you are applying, their history,achievements, who is the dean and deputy dean, the rankings in the world, the syllabus etc.

2. Read up about some dental related basics, terminologies, treatment.

3. It is also always good to prepare a question for them for the end of the interview if they asked if you have any questions for them.

4. Always remember to answer in English if they ask you in English and in Malay if they asked you in Malay.

5. Owh, it is also okay to ask any of your seniors for help. I am sure they don't mind.


---Entirely based on personal experience---


Just a little update : I am taken by USM, thanks for everyone's prayers and thoughts. 

Friendly Note : IF you want to know what are the things to do, or process before entering University ( when you get your offer letter ) , you can read about it here . :)






Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am equally nervous for all wire bending sessions. So yes ? Haha !
      UKM's IV , I didn't say it is I think ? Probably standard . Haha

      Delete
  2. Hi~ I got interview from ukm on 1/6.. it stated there it's temu duga dan ujian.. May I know what kind of test will be given?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ujian refers to the Wire Bending test. :) good Luck !

      Delete
    2. Oh okay thank you so much Suzanne
      ; )

      Delete
  3. Hi :D first off, thank you so much for the info, it's really useful. One question: I got an interview for dentistry from um, but the only thing stated there was the call for wire bending. Does this mean there's no interview yet for the first day? And did you have to sit for UMAT?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations :)
      First , yes, for my batch there is only wire bending for the first call. Your selection for interview will be based on your performance of the wire bending test. However , do double check with the person incharge for UM as they may change every year.

      There is no UMAT test for dentistry .

      But as I said . It is best to double check. We do not want any risk . :)

      All the best !

      Delete
  4. Hi sis. I got interview from ukm. Sis, can u tell me in detail about the instructions that given to u for the wire bending session? And how about the scale?do they give that too or we need to decide our own scale??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, sorry for the late reply .

      I am really sorry I can't really remember what were the exact instructions , but the instructions given will tell you the length and the shape and orientation they want .

      Sorry , what do you mean by scale?

      Delete
    2. I mean the length and all sis. Btw, thanks a lot (:

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this brief explanation and very nice information. Well, got a good knowledge. Sometimes you just have to yell at people and give them a good shake to get your point across.

    Best Dentists In Chennai | Dental Hospital In Chennai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think yelling might not be the first choice to shake some sense into people ? Haha. But yes , you need to make a clear stand to get your message across .

      Delete
  6. Hi Suzanne. I'm Hajar. I also went for the interviews in USM and IIUM last year. I got both but I chose IIUM. Well, since we're in the same batch, I would like to befriend with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hajar , consider us dental Buddies then,☺️ Yeay 💪 we are all going for the same dream :) hope we can meet someday perhaps during this coming IVG ? 😜

      Delete
  7. Hai. saya lepasan asasi uitm sains. Saya apply dentist usm. Ramai org cakap susah dapat usm. Betul ke akak. Takot plak. Result sy alhamdulillah 4.00 takot bile interview . Choice usm akak yg ke berapa ye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allow me to reply in English, my Malay is not very good :)

      First of all, I think more accurately dentistry course is hard to get , not USM dentistry that is hard to get :)

      During my batch,UM and USM were not integrated into UPU, so there wasn't a matter on which was my first choice of university.

      Since you took your first step to apply this course , I think it is very brave of you , and with God's will you will make it . You're right ,do prepare for your interview.

      I presume that you are interested to come to USM ?

      Delete
    2. Oh. Its okay. I already fill up my top 5 in upu is all about dentistry and medicine. And yeah. I want to come to USM. I apply dentistry usm as first choice which i really want. And usm medic for 2nd choice.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing such great information. It has help me in finding out more detail about Dentists in chennai!

    ReplyDelete
  9. can i know more about wire bending test for um ? They will give us a curve wire or straight wire to make a rectangle ? Actually it is only some simple shapes right ?So ,it got many shapes or just only one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For my year, we were given a straight wire to bend into an ohm shape connected with a rectangle . It's like the shape of a typical stamp but in 2D with the edges of the rectangle slightly longer . I have no idea if they change every year. Best to prepare for all possiblilities .

      Delete
  10. sis .. for um . its means that this year also don't have essay??? then the writing test is stand for wire bending only?? what's about physical test? this year we go that . do u hav any idea about that??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know, there is/was no essay tests for dentistry, there is a wire bending test. ( i don't remember it being a.k.a writing test). As for physical test, this is something new for me. If you don't mind please let me know about it so that I can update it here as well for future batches.

      Good Luck ! Remember to tead the instructions cafefully. You may prepare for thre essay, no harm in that. Their system is always changing since they reintegrated it into UPU again.

      Delete
  11. If i got band 3... is there any chances for me to pass the interview

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it should be an issue. Because you're allowed to retake it.

      Delete
  12. hi there..may i ask..is it possible to get into dentistry if i only got 3.9 for matriculation program?do any of your friends in dentistry got in with a 3.9 cgpa? thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. When they asked did you applied for other Universities,
    Will it risk our chance getting into their university if we say yes ?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life as a First Year Dental Student in USM

MATRICULATION PROGRAM in KOLEJ MATRIKULASI PERLIS,ARAU 2014/2015